Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Life is Good.

Summer was busy.

In between packing up the house and going to Idaho for our annual pilgrimage to the Sandpoint Festival, I had surgery for a skin cancer that turned out to be more extensive than previously thought.  Apparently sunbathing slathered in baby oil in the 70s finally caught up to me.

The initial biopsy and surgery did not get clean margins, so on July 18th I had general anesthesia and got the damned thing cut out.  The good news is the cancer was basal cell, but it was a multifocal carcinoma which meant it spread out in clusters, and so the plastic surgeon had to do some pretty major cutting.

When I woke up, my first question to the nurse was, "Will my grandson be afraid of me?".  She reassured me that Dr. Barnsley does great work, but didn't hand me a mirror.  When I walked into the waiting room, Roger jumped up from the chair and grabbed my hand.  I figured I was going to be in for a surprise.  When we got to the car, I flipped down the mirror and burst into tears because what I saw.  That lasted about 30 seconds and then I figured I needed to get a grip.

Day 2:  There were about 16 stitches on the outside, and a whole bunch inside my mouth which were the most painful.  

Day 3:  Looking quite pathetic but it was hard to smile, drink and eat --- all things I like to do!
The plastic surgeon told me it could take up to a year for the swelling to go down, but he assured me the margins were clean so I just have to keep using sunscreen and get skin checks every 6 months from my dermatologist.  Lesson learned!

We got moved into our new condo in Victoria and immediately left for a few days in Idaho.  This year we were lucky guests of Paddy and Dave Carlson at their beautiful cabin on Lake Pend O'Reille.  We spent a day on their boat, and then went to see ZZ Top at the Festival.

Not a great picture, but the beard was unmistakable and we felt like young rockers
When we got home, Roger went to pick up the 22' SeaRay Weekender boat he bought in Port Orchard, Washington.  This boat is really versatile and will be great for cruising the Gulf and San Juan Islands, for fishing and for introducing Magnus to the wonderful world of tubing that his parents love to do.  We can't wait to take the boat to Idaho this summer and take them all out on the water.  It has a bathroom, so that ticks an important box for me!
Roger added a radar arch and all the electronics to make the boat safe for coastal cruising
In early September, we went to Brad and Anette's in Kenmore, Washington to look after Magnus while they had a weekend getaway with their friends, Nolan and Eric.
Brad and Anette take off for their weekend away!
We had a ball with Magnus.  He is so interesting and fun --- I know, I'm talking like a grandmother.  But it's true!  We took him to the beach....bowling....played miniature golf...flew a kite...went to the zoo.....and enjoyed watching him play with friends on the street.

Ice cream with my boy.  Such fun!
My smile is still a bit wonky, but getting better.

RaRa is always ready to give Magnus a lift

The beach at Edmonds is close to their house, and a great place to spend the day

Magnus on his first day of Pre-K school

Roger spent lots of time working on the boat, but when he came home early enough we would find a Happy Hour with Buck a Shuck Oysters and pinch ourselves that we now live in Victoria.  Four years ago we stayed at the marina in front of the iconic Empress Hotel and had a great time.  We admit now that we never pictured ourselves living here, but we are so happy about the move.  The energy, beauty, architecture, harbour, fantastic restaurants and bars and walk-ability makes Victoria a city that has a well earned reputation as being one of the most beautiful cities in Canada.  No argument here.

In mid-September Roger found himself heading to Alberta to work with Dave Mullen on a start up project until the Arizona job got started.  I was left with the pleasure of showing friends, Kathy and Randy Cardon, and Shelagh and John Slater around the city during their visits here.

While waiting for Shelagh and John's arrival, I took Cardon's for a gin tasting at The Distillery in Sidney.  The Empress 1908 gin is superb.  And you can pretend you're doing science experiments while you drink because when you add tonic to the gin, it turns a lovely pink.  Try it sometime!


I loved showing off our new city.  We took water taxis to patios where we basked in the sun while having a drink and explored Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf.   I swear I feel like Mary Tyler Moore at the intro to her 70's sitcom --- I just need a beret to throw up into the air.

Our 40th anniversary is December 2nd,  but we decided to celebrate early by flying to Napa Valley and San Francisco for a few days.  We've never experienced such warm weather in the region and it was a stellar visit.  We just kept grinning at each other and saying how lucky we were to be this excited about being together after 40 years.

The iconic Golden Gate Bridge took us towards Napa....and wine!
We stayed in a cute Airbnb in Sebastapol, near Santa Rosa.  The Russian River Winery was recommended and it did not disappoint.  It turned us into fans of Pinot Noir!


We always like going off the beaten path, and heard about the Charles Schulz museum so headed there before going to more wineries.  What a gem!  We really enjoyed it, and got insight into this talented, complex cartoonist.



We then headed to Francis Ford Coppola's winery in Geyserville, where it was fun to see movie memorabilia alongside his wines.



We moved on to Saddleback winery recommended to us by Ryan and Whitney Wales.  There we spent an hour or so sampling beautiful wines and enjoying the scenery.

My face might not be normal yet -- but a very happy woman is behind the crooked smile!
Beer and Hog Island Oysters ..... oh yeah......

You know you're in California when you read signs like this.

Vineyards are EVERYWHERE!  
We loved Napa and have already decided we will return.  It was our first visit, but it won't be our last.

As part of "Hearts in San Francisco" fundraiser, this heart in Union Square was painted by Tony Bennett.


It was Fleet Week in San Francisco, and we toured the HMCS Vancouver, currently stationed in Esquimalt -- just a mile from us!

And what would a trip to San Francisco be without a visit to Pier 39 to see the throngs of sea lions.  You can smell and hear them before you see them -- but their antics never disappoint!

Lunch at Boudin Cafe -- another "must do" while in San Francisco

Because I just had to take this picture!

Chinatown and Peking Ducks glistening in shop windows

Chinatown is a vibrant quadrant of the city

The Westin just down the street from our hotel had strikers holding signs, "One job should be enough".  

After several visits to San Francisco over the years, we looked for new things to do.  A tour of the Anchor Brewing Company filled the bill.  Founded in 1849, it was a craft brewery before it was the "in" thing, and has survived through several significant challenges:  fires, untimely deaths of the founders, prohibition and the evolution of beer itself.


A look at some of the products Anchor Steam has produced over the years

Anchor's top sellers

Copper vats imported from Europe

Dried hops

Generous tastings were given out before, during and after the tour
When Brad and Anette lived in San Francisco, they told us they visited a Speakeasy called Bourbon and Branch.  It was just down the street from our hotel, so I made reservations.

True to it's clandestine history, a password was emailed to me, and when we arrived at the plain wooden door we just knocked.  We were greeted, had to show our ID ("What? My grey hair and wrinkles aren't enough?") and give the code word, "fellas". 

We were led into an extremely dark bar and to a booth lit by a small lamp.  We noticed that across from us was a huge bookshelf that opened to another room and some people were led through the opening.  House Rules stated no photos were to be taken but hundreds are posted on social media so I think it is just a way to dare guests to advertise for them -- it worked.


The next morning we headed back to Victoria and later that day Roger flew to Calgary.

Sunrise as we leave San Francisco.  What a trip.
I caught up to Roger in Calgary for a quick stopover and then on Saturday drove to Ponoka where family from all over North America gathered to wish his dad, John, a happy 90th birthday.  He's remarkably active and was glad to see everyone.

Left to right:  Jack, Roger, Rhonda, John and Colin
I am a self proclaimed wuss when it comes to cold weather, so I was happy to fly west to the Island.  I landed in 16C weather with green grass and flowers still in bloom.

View from our condo.  The Empress Hotel is in the background and just a 14 minute walk.
What's next?  The Arizona project is ready to proceed in the next few weeks so we're going to head down with the trailer in mid-November and I'll help Roger get set up before I fly home.

Many ask if I'm going to spend the winter in Benson, Arizona.  My answer?  "No --- actually, make that hell no!!"  I've waited for Roger while sitting in the Kalahari Desert of Botswana and the Outback of Australia (not to mention waiting in a lot of other places best viewed in National Geographic or travel shows).  Been there, done that.

Roger will be on a good rotation so we'll either travel on his time off or he can come home to explore more of Victoria with me.  We are heading to Kansas for Christmas where we will celebrate with Brad, Anette, Magnus, Colin, Karen and Cooper.  I've researched some great organizations nearby, so in the new year, I will look to volunteer my time.

Yes.  Life is good. Damned good.

"When you love what you have, you have everything you need."
                                                                                                        Author Unknown

No comments: