Saturday, May 26, 2012

The latest in Guinea and Idaho...

After spending a few days in the company's office in Liberia, Roger is now in Guinea on the project.  The camp has about 500 people and is well set up.  There is a dining hall serving very good food, a bar serving cheap beer (everyone must take a breathalyzer before reporting for work each day), and housing that is very comfortable.

Traffic jam in Monrovia, Liberia

Camp housing
Roger is in one of these units.  He in in a double room by himself, and while he was offered a bigger unit, he said he's fine where he is. 

E Global's vehicles

Road to the drill site. 

You can tell by the red earth they are drilling for iron ore

View from the top of the mountain



"Incident report"

Meanwhile, back in Idaho.....

I've been keeping busy and have been fortunate to have found walking partners and friends, Sandra and Gail.  Sandra and her husband, Larry, are very involved in the community and have introduced me to people and volunteer opportunities which I've really appreciated.

I got to look after Gail's dog, Pepper, for a few days while she was visiting family on the west coast.  I loved having the company, and there is nothing like the unconditional love you get from having a dog greeting you when you open a door!

Pepper loved roaming our property -- fortunately it's all fenced in so I didn't have to worry about him getting away
Sandra took me to a fun event in Newport, Washington called "Who let the girls out?"  It's a semi-annual shopping event in this neat little town just 6 miles from us.  Participating stores served refreshments and I saw shops that I hadn't known existed.
Larry is very involved in the Lion's Club and asked if I would help out at a two day hearing and eye testing mobile clinic.  I jumped at the chance and had a rewarding and fun filled experience being one of four volunteers that tested more than 700 students aged 4 to 18.  We found a several kids with moderate to severe hearing loss, and many with significant sight issues.  No wonder many struggle in school.  The Lions Club helps provide hearing aids and glasses for those who can't afford them.  Such a great organization.  It was sad to hear kids talk about their parents not having health care insurance.

Far right: Larry Lawrence

Inside the mobile clinic.  Kids that didn't pass the hearing and/or sight tests were given additional testing with the reports sent to the school nurse for follow up.
Sandra also introduced me to the Lifelong Learning Coordinator at the Sandpoint Library.  I'm meeting a 13 year old girl and her mom this week, and plan to start tutoring the daughter in reading when I get back from my whirlwind trip to Canada on June 12th. 

I'm going to Vancouver on May 31st for a week to dog sit for Brad and Anette (they are in St. Lucia celebrating their 5th anniversary but I will have 3 days with them when they return), then drive to Calgary for a day, then to Edmonton for the weekend to see our goddaughter, Megan Belanger, get married.  Back to Calgary for another day and then back to Idaho on June 12th.  I'll be putting lots of miles on the road, but looking forward to the trip.

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"
George Carlin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just read through your latest posting Heather. It is always fun to see what you are up to:) I got a good laugh out of your quote at the end there!!! Looks like Roger is enjoying his new destination:)

Margrethe