Monday, October 05, 2009

Que pasa?

What's up with the Kinleys? 

For the last couple of weeks it's been mainly going to work and driving to the beach house in Kino Bay, and finding another house that would involve less of a commute.  Even Roger --- lover of all things involving water admitted the drive was a bit much.
The weather has been beautiful --- temperatures at times reaching over 100F with only 1 day of rain.  It was windy for a couple of days which resulted in sand removal trucks and graders going through Kino Bay --- which is a big change from snow trucks that are probably ready for some action in Canada. 

The beach also had the best shells I've come across so as we went on walks I would gather them up and will put them in a vase once we get settled in our new place.  Some are even big enough to use as appetizer bowls!

Through work connections, Roger was able to get a realtor and an interpreter (an amiable young lawyer named Edwin who is around Brad's age) to take me around and show me some houses. It was amazing to see what we could get for a fraction of what it would cost in Canada.

The plan (always a plan but you know how well our plans go....) was to move into a beautiful house in a gated community on Sunday, October 4th.  The house was getting repainted when I saw it, but the owner, Irma, had assured our realtor it would be completed for us - and in fact, let us move in a week early for free.

Roger kept saying, "There's going to be a glitch...there's always a glitch".  I told him to stop being an Eyeore.  Jeez, I hate it when he's right....

We all met at the appointed hour...walked in the house....and heard water splash under our feet.....  A water hose had burst in the bathroom flooding the whole house!  You don't have to be fluent in Spanish to know what poor Irma was saying and she just looked so broken hearted because the house was absolutely beautifully decorated for us.  Fortunately, she also had another rental property that I had looked at (didn't choose it because it was too big --- even had maid's quarters!) so we are here until the original house is repaired.

Everyone we've met has been incredibly kind.  When Irma learned I was going to be on my own for a couple of days because Roger was flying to Durango to look at a project he wants to bid on - she offered (through Edwin) to send her driver to take me around anywhere. I assured her I was used to being on my own and that I would be fine but she stopped by first thing in the morning to make sure I had everything I needed.

Where I have set out on a worldwide quest to sample every type of flan I come across, Roger is doing the same with Micheladas.  It is a spicy beer drink, that depending on the country you are in, usually consists of plenty of freshly squeezed lime, spices, and beer.  We came across little bottles of "Michie Mix", so of course, Roger had to check them out. 
While he gave it a thumbs up, the winner of the best Michelada still goes to Margie at Coconuts Bar in Belize.

On our travels around the area, we've been struck by the number and types of shrines erected along the road.  They vary as much in size, and design as do the people they honour. Whether a shrine is remarkable in its grandeur, or beautiful in it's simplicity --- it is clearly an important ritual for those who are left behind as most shrines are well cared for with artifacts and remembrances placed inside.

The last few days we were living in Kino Bay, we had to go through several police check points on the highway.  Most of the police look like they would be members of a Canadian SWAT team with the number of weapons, bullet proof vests, etc they wear.  Each time we stopped, we are immediately waved through and I don't find them intimidating like I thought I would.  Having said that.....I have restrained myself and have not taken pictures of these gentlemen as they go about their work....Instead, I'll just stick to the beautiful sunsets and say,

Hasta luego.

No comments: